This course focuses on new modes of writing and publishing enabled by computer technology. Projects involve analyzing, creating, reading about, and reflecting on multimedia writing.
During the quarter, you’ll be using a range of software to create your multimedia projects. You don’t need to come into the course with expertise (or even familiarity) with any of the programs we’ll be using. However, you do need to be willing to learn these programs well enough so that you can create the kind of work that you envision. Mastering programs may mean spending extra time in the computer labs, working through online or print tutorials, or getting help from me during office hours. Keep in mind, too, that programs and entire computers sometimes crash; save your work frequently and in several places. Computer problems are not valid excuses for late or incomplete work.
- Readings, tutorials, and handouts are available in our class Dropbox folder
- Isla Vista Postcard Project: 30%
- Infographic Project: 30%
- Alternative Résumé Project: 30%
- Writing About Me Project: 10%
- My office is South Hall 1522 and my office hours are Mondays from 2:00-3:00. However, I’m on campus a lot, so if you can’t meet during my office hours feel free to email me to set up a time to meet.
- Our class meets from 9:30-10:45 in SSMS 1005.
- Because much of the work of the course will be done during class time, your attendance and participation are very important. Your grade will be lowered if you miss more than two class sessions. Remember that even if you are absent you are responsible for any work that is done during class and for any assignments that are given or are due during class. Send me an e-mail or come by my office (South Hall 1401) during my office hours to find out what you missed.
- If you are late to class, I count that as half an absence.
- The syllabus specifies the date and time that assignments are due. Late assignments will be accepted but their grade will be reduced for each late day. For example, a project that would have gotten an A if it was turned in on time will get an A- later that day or one day late, a B+ two days late, a B three days late, and so on. I enforce this late policy absolutely; there are no exceptions.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. If you plagiarize on any of the assignments you will fail the class and will be subject to disciplinary action by the University.