Writing 105M takes up writing in the context of digital technologies that enable combinations of different media–for instance, images, audio, video, and/or interactivity used alongside alphanumeric text to convey a message. Projects in the course involve analyzing, creating, and reflecting on new ways of writing that include multiple modes of communication. We examine digital rhetoric and the opportunities and constraints that digital technologies offer as we experiment with multimedia compositions.
This section of Writing 105M hones in on data as an element of multimedia composing and as an issue in contemporary culture. What are the impacts of our increased ability to gather, store, access, analyze, and visualize data? How can we use data to communicate effectively?
The schedule, projects, and resources for the class are all available at http://sorapure.net/105m.
- Dear Data project: 50%
- PSA with data: 20%
- Text visualization: 20%
- Class participation: 10%
- My office is South Hall 1522 and my office hours are Mondays from 1:00-2:00. However, I’m on campus a lot, so if you can’t meet during my office hours feel free to email me to set up a time to meet.
- Our class meets on MTW from 9:30-10:55 in Phelps 1518.
- Because much of the work of the course will be done during class time, your attendance and participation are very important. Your grade will be lowered if you miss more than two class sessions. Remember that even if you are absent you are responsible for any work that is done during class and for any assignments that are given or are due during class. Send me an e-mail or come by my office (South Hall 1522) to find out what you missed.
- If you are late to class, I count that as half an absence.
- The syllabus specifies the date and time that assignments are due. Late assignments will be accepted but their grade will be reduced for each late day. For example, a project that would have gotten an A if it was turned in on time will get an A- later that day or one day late, a B+ two days late, a B three days late, and so on. I enforce this late policy absolutely; there are no exceptions.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. If you plagiarize on any of the assignments you will fail the class and will be subject to disciplinary action by the university.