This is the first of two capstone courses in the Multimedia Communication track of the Professional Writing Minor. At the end of this course, you’ll have a collection of work in a variety of professional genres, including employment-oriented documents. You’ll be able to use some of these documents as you apply for internships for the Spring quarter, and you’ll also be adding to your portfolio of work and putting much of it online in Writing 155B.
The assignments in the course ask you to engage in activities that will help you improve as a writer in the following ways:
- refine your writing style
- compose in multiple media
- design documents effectively
- use a variety of software programs
The syllabus, schedule, assignments, readings, and resources for the course can be found on the Web at http://sorapure.net/155a. This website will be updated regularly.
The assignments for the course constitute your final grade, roughly as follows:
- Document Redesign: 20%
- Minor Flyer: 10%
- Personal Logo & Business Card: 10%
- Application Package: 30%
- SlideDoc Project: 20%
- WordPress Website: 10%
- Office hours are Wednesdays after class, from 12:30-2:30.
- Class meets in the SSMS Collaborative Lab 1 (SSMS 1005).
- Because much of the work of the course will be done during class time, your attendance and participation are very important. You are allowed two absences; after that, your final grade will be lowered by one grade for each absence (e.g., if you are absent 3 times, an A becomes an A-; if you are absent 4 times, an A becomes a B+).
- If you arrive late to class, I count that as half an absence.
- Remember that even if you are absent you are responsible for any work that is done during class and for any assignments that are given or are due during class. Send me an e-mail or come by my office during my office hours to find out what you missed.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. If you plagiarize on any of the assignments you will fail the class and will be subject to disciplinary action by the University.