This assignment asks you to create a professional website that features your written and multimedia work. In class, we’ll move through the following stages to build the site:
- set up a domain and server at Reclaim Hosting
- download a text editor (e.g., Brackets) and an FTP program (e.g., Cyberduck)
- learn HTML and CSS via tutorials at HTMLDog
- modify Story, an HTML/CSS template available at HTML5Up
- select your own template to modify, add your own content, and post at your URL
Your website will be evaluated based on these criteria.
Create a WordPress blog or website that you can link to from your main website. The topic of the blog or site is entirely up to you, but it should be a way for you to showcase your ideas, voice, talents, and/or plans to an appropriate professional audience. Because WordPress makes it relatively easy to upload written text as well as multimedia (images, videos, and interactive elements like quizzes and puzzles), try to use the opportunities that WordPress provides.
I’ll ask you to submit a proposal describing the content and audience of your blog or site early on in the process.
Create a small, manageable multimedia project to add to your HTML/CSS website or to your WordPress blog. This project should give you a chance to explore a topic or a tool that interests you and that is relevant for your professional development. Through this project, you can showcase your knowledge and skills in an area that will help you advance your career.
Here are some project ideas:
- Create a story or a tutorial using a screencasting tool like Screencast-o-matic.
- Create a quick multimedia project using one or more of the Knightlab storytelling tools.
- To show off your Adobe or alt-Adobe skills, make a couple of illustrations or create some photo collages.
- Create a video on a topic that’s relevant for your professional interests.