In this course, you’ll work through the process of creating a website that you can use for your academic, professional, and personal work during your time at UCSB. The website can grow and evolve along with you over the next four years, as you add writing, images, video, and other elements that convey your knowledge, skills, and interests. You’ll learn some basic HTML and CSS in order to modify templates and learn strategies for making your site responsive on different devices, accessible to a range of users, and rhetorically effective in conveying your content. It will be fun most of the time, and just occasionally frustrating.
Class meets every Monday from 5:00-5:50 in SSMS 1005. There are assignments for you to work on pretty much every week. You should try to attend every class. If you have to miss a class, please get in touch with me in advance and I can help you figure out what you missed.
My office hours are Wednesdays from 10:00-12:00 and my office is South Hall 1522. I’m also available at other days and times, so feel free to send me an email to set up a time to meet.
- Food/housing insecurity: If you are facing any challenges securing food or housing, you are urged to meet with a Food Security Peer Advisor, who is aware of the broad variety of resources that UCSB has to offer (see their drop-in hours at food.ucsb.edu). Please visit food.ucsb.edu for additional resources including Calfresh, the AS Food Bank, and more.
- UCSB Answers has a list of resources that can help if you’re experiencing food insecurity, housing insecurity, financial difficulties, or other concerns related to your mental, physical, or social well-being.
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers counseling, self-help information and connections to off-campus mental health resources. They also offer help in stress management. CAPS can be reached at 893-4411.
- Disabled Students Program (DSP) (893-2668) provides academic support services to eligible students with temporary and permanent disabilities.
- Also, I am always available to help via email, during my office hours, or by appointment.