my email: firstname.lastname@example.org
my office hours via Zoom: Mondays & Wednesdays 4:00-4:50
In this course, you’ll work through the process of creating a website that you can use for your academic, professional, and personal work during your time at UCSB. The website can grow and evolve along with you over the next four years, as you add writing, images, video, and other elements that convey your knowledge, skills, and interests. You’ll learn some basic HTML and CSS in order to modify templates and learn strategies for making your site responsive on different devices, accessible to a range of users, and rhetorically effective in conveying your content. It will be fun most of the time, and just occasionally frustrating.
We’ll be doing the course remotely this quarter, and I’ve tried to organize the schedule so that the lessons and assignments are as clear as possible. Every Monday morning at 9:00 am (PST) I’ll post a video or two on this website that you should watch. The video will explain how to do the exercise that’s due each week by Friday at 5:00 pm (PST). Every Monday and Wednesday from 4:00-4:50 I’ll hold office hours via Zoom; I’ll email you a link with the invitation so that you can just click on the link and join the office hours.
So every week will be the same:
- Mondays at 9:00 am (PST): instructional video(s) posted here
- Mondays and Wednesdays at 4:00-4:50 pm (PST): office hours via Zoom
- Fridays at 5:00 pm (PST): exercise for the week is due
Campus resources this quarter
Although campus is closed, many offices remain open and are providing services via phone and Internet. A few are listed below. If you have any questions about other services, get in touch with me (email@example.com or during Zoom office hours) and I can help you.
- Keep Learning UCSB (https://keeplearning.id.ucsb.edu): information about strategies for remote learning, UCSB COVID-19 updates, and links to many of the units listed below.
- CLAS (http://clas.sa.ucsb.edu | 805.893.3269): CLAS is offering online tutoring services and workshops; sign-ups for these services begin on Monday, March 30.
- CAPS (http://caps.sa.ucsb.edu | 805.893.4411): Counseling Services offers counseling for personal concerns and crisis intervention, stress management, self- help information, and connections to off-campus mental health resources. For Spring 2020, previously scheduled in-person appointments will shift to phone or Zoom; new appointment requests can be made by calling 805-893-4411.
- Basic Needs Resources (https://food.ucsb.edu): this website is updated with information for Spring 2020 about financial assistance, food and housing assistance, and technology/access assistance. A chat function at the site puts you in touch with help immediately.
- Also, I am always available to help via email, during Zoom office hours, or by appointment.